Whats in Process
Violinist and conductor, Ferdinand “Dino” Liva comes from a musically prominent family in northeastern Pennsylvania. He began studying the violin at age seven with his father, Ferdinand Liva (Sr.), a noted conductor and teacher, and continued his education at the Peabody Conservatory with Berl Senofsky, and at Temple University with Luis Biava, where he graduated with a master's degree and a Professional Studies Certificate. In 1992, Dino was appointed assistant professor of violin and chamber music at Wilkes University and conductor of the University Orchestra. He remained in that post until 1996.
Dino has been a member of the DaPonte String Quartet since it was formed in 1991 in Philadelphia. The quartet first came to Maine on a Rural Residency Grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and Chamber Music America in 1995. At the end of the grant period, unlike most groups sent to enrich rural communities, the four musicians and their families decided to put down personal and professional roots in Maine and to build their careers from here. In the ensuing years Dino has performed with many local musical organizations including the Portland Symphony Orchestra. For the last nine years he has been adjunct faculty at the University of Southern Maine, and in the spring semester of 2009 was conductor of the University Orchestra and the Portland Youth Symphony Orchestra. He also teaches privately and conducts the Sea Coast Youth Orchestra and the Sea Coast Community Orchestra in Damariscotta, Maine.
Dino Liva’s violin was made in 1909 by Italian violin maker Giulio Ettore Degani (1875-1955), who learned the trade from his father, Eugenio Degani. Guilio Degani’s violins are based largely on his father’s designs, with fine and distinctive corners and edges and use of the same varnish, which was always held as a closely guarded secret. His instruments are widely praised as having a firm and crystal clear tone. His scrolls are very characteristic and original.
This example is typical of his work and dates from 1909. It has a two-piece back of maple with a medium broad curl descending across the back from the joint. The pegbox and scroll are of similar wood with the ribs being of a somewhat finer curl. The violin has a two-piece front of pine which is of a medium grain. The varnish of a rich orange-brown color on a yellow ground.
The label reads:
DEGANI GIULIO DI EUGENIO
After his father's death Giulio Degani continued working in the same workshop in Venice until July 1922 when he moved to Cincinatti in the United States. He stayed there until his death in 1955."
The Restoration of the Degani Violin
Go back to Repairs & Restorations page
WE ARE | INSTRUMENTS
WE BUILD | REPAIRS
& RESTORATIONS | INSTRUMENTS
FOR SALE | RENTALS